lies on a sunny plateau, 1,400 m above sea level. Situated overlooking Mühlbach, it offers a wonderful view of the Pustertal and Eisacktal valleys as well as the Dolomite mountains. Meransen boasts 280 days of sun a year
– up to 12 hours of sunshine in summer and 8 hours even in winter. Meransen is one of the sunniest places in all of South Tyrol. The 800 inhabitants of this mountain village also like to take the cable car to Mühlbach (5 minutes travel time). Meransen walking paradise
Meransen is a real paradise for walkers. Countless walking and hiking paths as well as demanding mountaineering routes are a wonderful way to enjoy the natural landscape. There are any number of different alpine walks leading to huts and inns serving typical South Tyrol alpine dishes. It is well worth visiting the panoramic platform with its spectacular view onto 500 peaks of the Dolomites, Zillertal, Stubai and Ötztal Alps. The winter magic of Gitschberg
In winter, Meransen is enveloped in a thick white blanket of snow. At this time of the year, the Gitschberg is an inviting prospect for memorable skiing tours. The pistes are varied and perfect for skiers of all ability levels. In the cold season there is still plenty of warm sunshine to be soaked up, especially by the ski huts. From winter 2011/12 there will also be a direct link to the Jochtal skiing region
so that you can access even more pistes and variety. For those who love peace and quiet there are numerous opportunities for snowshoe hiking
, winter walks
and cross-country skiing
. Pleasurable moments in Meransen on the Gitschberg:
More informations about Meransen and surroundings More informations about the ski resort Gitschberg-Jochtal
- With 280 days of sunshine a year, Meransen is one of the sunniest villages in South Tyrol
- Meransen affords a spectacular view overlooking the Pustertal and Eisacktal valleys and the Dolomites. From the viewing platform on the Gitschberg you get a view of 500 peaks of the Dolomites, Zillertal, Stubai and Ötztal Alps
- 1,500 m² of bathing fun with swimming pool, children’s pool, experience showers and saunas at the alpine pool
- In the alpine region of Gitschberg/Jochtal there are over 30 mountains and countless alpine huts. In summer the region is a real paradise for walkers. The Fane Alm and Altfasstal Valley are particularly unspoilt and idyllic.
- The Seefeldseen are a particularly attractive group of lakes to the north of Meransen in the upper Altfaßtal Valley comprising the Great Lake (2271 m), the Middle Lake (2501 m) and the Small Lake (2514 m).
- Stoanamandl – A little man made of stone
- In winter 44 km of ski pistes ensure a great winter holiday experience. In addition snowshoe hiking, cross-country skiing, ice skating and tobogganing are all available.